To Dr Thomas Partl (Austria)
Jacques Antenen (Switzerland)
Sándor Berzi (Hungary)
Emilio García Silvero (Spain)
Lorenz Hans (Germany) (new)
Jim Stjerne Hansen (Denmark)
Ioan Angelo Lupescu (Romania)
Rudolf Řepka (Czech Republic) (new)
James Shaw (Northern Ireland) (new)
Joël Wolff (Luxembourg
As you are aware, Turkish football fans have been sending you letters regarding the match fixing scandal occured at 2010-2011 season. The centre of this match fixing crime was Fenerbahce FC. After Court given its verdict regarding this case we have been expecting you to give a similar verdict and find Fenerbahce FC guilty of match fixing crime in several games and order Turkish Football Federation to relegate Fenerbahce FC to a lower division.
The Discipline procedures of UEFA, FIFA and Turkish FA clearly outlines that match fixing must be punished with relegation.
We know that you have been investigating this matter carefully with all angles, but it is discgrase for Champions League and Turkish League to have Fenerbahce FC, which is proven match fixers by Turkish courts.
Please find the report we prepared for you below, which we think more than enough for you to make up your mind regarding this case.
The Chronological Lay Out of the Match Fixing Case in Turkey
1) 03.07.2011-Match Fixing Operation Started: Board members, players, managers of various clubs were arrested by Turkish police. ( See Article 1 for people sentenced to imprisonment for match fixing offence by Court on 02.07.2012 on pages 3-4)
2) 13.07.2011-First Confession about Matxh Fixing: İstanbul BB’s player Ibrahin Akın confessed at prosecuting attorney’s office alongside his solicitors that he took $100,000.00 from Fenerbahce FC for not scoring against them. ( See Article 2-A and Article 2-B for details on pages 4-5-6)
3) 15.08.2011-First Ethical Committee Report sent to Turkish FF: Fenerbahce FC, Sivasspor
FC, and Mersin İdmanyurdu FC were found guilty for match fixing offence.
4) 22.08.2011-Pierre Cornu arrived at Turkey: UEFA sent inspector Pierre Cornu to Turkey to talk to Turkish FF and the prosecuting attorney Mehmet Berk.
5) 24.08.2011-Trabzonspor FC replaced Fenerbahce FC in Champions League: After TFF withdrawn Fenerbahce FC from Champions Leauge, UEFA invited Trabzonspor FC to the competition.
6) 25.08.2011-Appeals Body rejected Fenerbahce’s request against Turkish FF’s decision that withdrawn Fenerbahce FC from Champions League.
7) 01.09.2011-Fenerbahce FC applied CAS: Fenerbahce FC applied CAS to stop the Champions League withdrawn decision of Turkish FF and sued TFF and UEFA for 45 million Euros for this decision.
8) 09.09.2011-CAS decided against Fenerbahce FC: CAS refused Fenerbahce FC’s application on stopping the decision of TFF that withdrawn them from Champions League.
9) 24.11.2011-First Political Intervention: Turkish Parliament changed Sports Law (Law No: 6222) that came in to effect on 14.04.2011 and reduced all sentences that penalises crimes in sport.
10) 26.01.2012-Turkish FF held a general metting with the clubs to change the Discipline code 58 in order to save clubs from relegation those were involved in match fixing but the clubs voted against the change.
11) 09.02.2012-Mehmet Ali Aydınlar’s Confession: Mr. Aydınlar told on a TV programme that he did not want to be the president who relegated Fenerbahce FC and that is why he postponed the decision and tried to find a way to save Fenerbehce FC that he is a member of. He added that he was so sure of Fenerbahce FC’s guiltiness that if they win the case at CAS he would pay the 45 million euros they asked for.
12) 27.02.2012-New President elected for TFF: Turkish FF and the discipline bodies were changed as a result of resignation of Mehmet Ali Aydınlar (ex-president of TFF) and the board members.
13) 22.03.2012-UEFA congress in Istanbul: Mr. Michel Platini told to press that it is not possible to seperate clubs from individuals on match fixing offences after Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan offered him this suggestion. In another press conference Mr. Gianni Infantino told thatReferees being banned for life, not because they helped fix matches but because they accepted being contacted to help fix matches and added 58th article of Disciplinary Code is the UEFA’s must have code and changing of this code by national federations can not be accepted and will not be allowed by UEFA.
14) 26.04.2012-Fenerbahce FC withdrawn the case against TFF and UEFA at CAS.
15) 30.04.2012-TFF changed the Discipline Code 58: TFF changed the discipline code 58 as well as some other codes in order to prevent clubs from relegation despite the fact that clubs rejected this change at the last meeting.
16) 02.05.2012-Second Ethical Committee report was revealed: Despite being established after political intervention the second committee also found Fenerbahce FC guilty of match fixing in 3 matches. Two vice president of Fenerbahce FC (İlhan Ekşioğlu and Şekip Mosturoğlu) were found guilty along side players, agents, managers of various clubs.
17) 06.05.2012-PFDK (Professional Football Discipline Committee) announced the SCANDAL decision: Despite barring Fenerbahce FC vice presidents, club members, some other team players (played against Fenerbahce FC) that Fenerbahce FC fixed matches with PFDK invented a solution to prevent clubs from relegation; Match Fixing was not reflected on to the pitch!!! (See Article 5 on page 9)
18) 09.05.2012-Political Intervention of Turkish Prime Minister: Turkish PM Recep Tayyip Erdoğan told during a press statement that he was beyond an ordinary supporter and he was a member of Fenerbahce FC congrees. He also repeated his idea of seperating clubs from individuals despite being rejected by Platini in March. (Also See Article 6 on page 9)
19) 02.07.2012-Court’s decision on match fixing case: The Judce (Mehmet Ekinci) announced his verdict on match fixing and found several people guilty from different clubs. Some of those people and their sentences are as below:.
20) 28.07.2012 Finally, Aziz Yıldırım ( President of Fenerbahce FC ) told on a press statement that, if he committed the match fixing crime he he did it for Fenerbahce FC, not for himself.
This chronological lay out of the match fixing clearly proves the existance of match fixing activities during the 2010-2011 season at Turkish Super League. Ethical Committees, Professional Football Discipline Committee and the court’s verdict all aggree on one decision; Fenerbahçe FC were involved in several match fixing activities that led them to win the Championship in 2010-2011 season.
Article 1 : People sentenced to imprisonment for match fixing offence by Court
· Aziz Yıldırım (President of Fenerbahçe FC) - Match-fixing at 7 matches and establishing and leading a criminal organisation for match-fixing: Imprisonment of 6 years and 3 months; and monetary fine of 950.000Euros.
· Şekip Mosturoğlu (Vice President of Fenerbahçe FC) - Match-fixing at 3 matches and member of criminal organisation for match-fixing: Imprisonment of 3 years 1 month and 14 days; and monetary fine of 55.500Euros.
· İlhan Ekşioğlu (Vice President of Fenerbahçe FC) - Match-fixing at 5 matches and member of criminal organisation for match-fixing: Imprisonment of 4 years and 4 months and 15 days; and monetary fine of 500.000Euros.
· Aleaddin Yıldırım (Director at Fenerbahçe FC Board) - Match-fixing at 1 match and member of criminal organisation for match-fixing: Imprisonment of 2 years 7 months and 15 days; and monetary fine of 75.000Euros.
· Ahmet Çelebi (Member of Fenerbahçe FC Congress and Sivasspor FC board member) - Match-fixing at 1 match and member of criminal organisation for match-fixing: Imprisonment of 2 years 7 months.
· Ali Kıratlı (Member of Fenerbahçe FC) - Match-fixing at 1 match and member of criminal organisation for match-fixing: Imprisonment of 3 years 1 month and 14 days; and monetary fine of 55.500Euros.
· Bülent İbrahim İşçen (Member of Fenerbahçe FC) - Match-fixing at 3 matches and member of criminal organisation for match-fixing: Imprisonment of 3 years 7 months and 3 days; and monetary fine of 52.000Euros.
· Tamer Yelkovan (Chief Financial Officer of Fenerbahçe FC) - Match-fixing at 3 matches and member of criminal organisation for match-fixing: Imprisonment of 2 years 9 months; and monetary fine of 27.700Euros.
· Sami Dinç (Legal Advisor of Fenerbahçe FC) - Match-fixing at 3 matches and member of criminal organisation for match-fixing: Imprisonment of 3 years 1 month and 14 days; and monetary fine of 55.500Euros. (See Article 7 for details)
· Cemil Turan (Sportive Director of Fenerbahçe FC) - Match-fixing at 1 match and member of criminal organisation for match-fixing: Imprisonment of 2 years 2 months and 7 days; and monetary fine of 8.600Euros.
· Samet Güzel (Translator of Fenerbahçe FC) - Match-fixing at 1 match and member of criminal organisation for match-fixing: Imprisonment of 1 year and 15 days.
· Mecnun Odyakmaz (Sivas FC-President) - 1 year and 6 months and 22 days for match fixing in Fenerbahce FC match against Sivasspor FC. That Fenerbahce FC won 4-3 at the last game of the season and won the championship.
· Bülent Uygun (Eskişehir FC-manager) – 11 months 7 days imprisinmont due to getting bribe from Fenerbahce FC regarding Eskişehir FC’s match against Trabzonspor FC.on 22.04.2011.
· İbrahim Akın ( İstanbul BB player) – 1 year 6 months and 22 days for match fixing for benefit of Fenerbahce FC at the match that his team lost 2-0 on 01.05.2011.
· Korcan Çelikay (Sivasspor FC goal keper) – 1 year and 3 months imprisonment for fixing match for benefit of Fenerbahce FC at the match that his team lost 4-3 at the last game of the season on 22.05.2011. (See Article 3 Article 4 on pages 6-7-8 for details)
· Mehmet Yıldız (Sivasspor FC player) - 1 year and 3 months imprisonment for fixing match for benefit of Fenerbahce FC at the match that his team lost 4-3 at the last game of the season on 22.05.2011.
Article 2-A :
İbrahim Akın’s deposition alongside his attorney at the public prosecutor Office;
…I met my agent (Yusuf Turanlı) at a restaurant called Big Chefs three days before the game after his request. He told me that Fenerbahçe SK offered me $100,000.00 for not scoring a goal against them. I wasn’t fisrt warm to the idea.
… Then the game was played. I could not score in the game but felt psychologically uncomfortable during the game and tried to do my best.
… A week later we met with Yusuf Turanlı at the same restaurant. He brought me Money in a plastic bag. Then I counted the Money saw he brought $50,000.00 instead of the $100,000.00 he told me that he was going to bring. This was the Money that Yusuf Turanlı promised me for not scoring against Fenerbahçe SK. None of my team mates knew anything about this Money. I do not know which Fenerbahçe SK board member Yusuf Turanlı took this Money from. There is not any other Money related business between us and he does not owe me any Money. I did not spend this Money…
…I met my agent Yusuf Turanlı at the date stated. I told that it was Beşiktaş JK’s jersey that was taken of Ibrahim Toroman in the plastic bag. This was not true. The truth was that I took some of the Money promised to me by Yusuf Turanlı .
…Following Hodja’s request from me to ask for more Money in order to help more I sent a text message to Yusuf Turanlı and asked for 100,000.00 Euros instead of 100,000.00 dollars in exchange with what he asked me for. This telephone coversation is about that.
…I know the dtails of the coversations that Ahmet Çelebi, Yusuf Turanlı and the others, those were mentioned in the file, had between each other. This might be for getting the match fixing Money but I do not know the others. I only know Yusuf and I was only in contact with Yusuf Turanlı.
‘I was offered this type of deal 3 times in my football career up to now and one of them is via Yusuf Turanlı for macth fixing in Fenerbahce SK game. I am regretful, I only took 50,000.00 dollars and I gave this Money around’ Ibrahim Akın said.
The persons sentenced for match fixing in Fenerbahce FC- İstanbul BB game are;
· Aziz Yıldırım ( Fenerbahce SK-President)
· Tamer Yelkovan (Fenerbahce SK-Finance Department Manager)
· Yusuf Turanlı (Agent)
· İbrahim Akın (İstanbul BB-Footballer)
· Ahmet Çelebi ( Member of the İllegal Organisation that Aziz Yıldırım was the head of)
· Abdullah Başak (Member of the İllegal Organisation that Aziz Yıldırım was the head of)
· Bülent İbrahim İşcen (Member of the İllegal Organisation that Aziz Yıldırım was the head of)
Article 2-B :
İbrahim Akın’s telephone coversation with his friend (hodja) regarding the match fixing money he was going to get for not scoring against Fenerbahce FC. To see whether it is OK to get this Money in terms of his religion.
İbrahim Akın : X
Hodja : Y
X : Hodja I have to ask you something. You know we have a game against Fenerbahce FC this weekend. They said İbrahim must not score and we will give him $100,000.00.
Y: Fine, what are you going to do?
X : I am asking you hodja, you ask your men what we need to do.
Y : What does the captain and the manager of your team say?
X : They don’t say anything. Because they are Fenerbahce fans, thay can’t tell me not to score or not to play, other people say this, meaning others telling me not to score.
Y : Fine, OK, These sort of things do exist in todays football World, don’t they?
X : They do, but I am asking you hodja; I mean will it be a bad thing, I mean there is monet involved, at the end they tell me do this and don’t do this.
Y : There is nothing wrong with it, you are not going to score against Fenerbahce Fc willingly and they will pay you Money for that. Ofcorse, there is nothing wrong with it, as long as no one else hear about it. There are poor people here, we will sacrify an animal and you will feed these poor people.
X. You are right hodja, OK.
17.05.2011 ( Before Sivasspor FC – Fenerbahce FC game) Telephone coversation between Yusuf Turanlı and Korcan Çelikay
KÇ : I, only you know, if there will be a chance to play
YT : Know this
KÇ : Looks like we will climb another stair,
YT : I hope so.
KÇ : I hope so brother.
YT : What are you doing? Are you at the facilities ( meaning trainig ground or club centre).
KÇ : Fine, there is no problem.
YT : OK
KÇ : How are you brother?
YT : As I told you
KÇ : Hı ( sound to express I see, OK)
YT : As I told you, Look ( he loughs) relax, you think of the operation, the operation
KÇ : Yes brother, I am thinking of the operation
YT : Ok, Ok. We will finish th operation and then you will have a holiday
KÇ : It is not that easy brother, Let there be a pay icrease, pay increase
YT : Pay increase? Great, great. You relax, relax, Don’t worry about the rest. Money. I love you.
KÇ : Thank you.
YT : Are you going to be here on Monday?
KÇ : No brother. I am thinking of going to Kayseri directly without coming here.
YT : So, Who should I talk to here, to your brother?
KÇ : You brother… You don’t need to talk to anyone. Why are you gonna talk to anyone?
YT : Should I wait for you then?
KÇ : … we will talk when I come back brother
YT : Ok, how longa re you going tos tay there?
KÇ : I will come back after couple of days stay.
YT : Ok, I will get the present Sunday noon, Ok?
KÇ : It doesn’t matter brother. It is not too important whether is stays with you or with me.
YT : You are the man, you are the man. I kiss you. Take care of yourself.
KÇ : Ok, I’ll see you later.
YT : Ok, my dear, Bye bye.
KÇ : Bye bye.
The persons sentenced for match fixing in Sivasspor FC-Fenerbahce FC game are;
· Aziz Yıldırım ( Fenerbahce FC-President )
· Mecnun Odyakmaz ( Sivasspor FC-President )
· İlhan Yüksel Ekşioğlu ( Fenerbahce FC-Vice President )
· Abdullah Başak (Agent )
· Ahmet Çelebi (Sivasspor FC board member and Fenerbahce FC congress member )
· Ali Kıratlı (Member of Fenerbahçe FC )
· Bülent İbrahim İşcen (Member of Fenerbahçe FC )
· Fatih Akbaba ( Agent)
· Korcan Çelikay ( Sivasspor FC-goal Keeper )
· İlhan Çelikay ( Korcan Çelikay’s brother )
· Mehmet Yıldız ( Sivasspor FC-player )
· Tamer Yelkovan (Fenerbahce SK-Finance Department Manager)
· Yusuf Turanlı (Agent)
Photos of match fixing aggreements from Police reports :
· Photos 1-2-3 : Evidence of match fixing deal between Fenerbahce FC and Sivasspor FC fort he last game of the season that Fenerbahce FC won 3-4 at Sivas.
· Photo 4 : A scene from İbrahim Akın and Yusuf Turanlı meeting that they aggree on match fixing for İstanbul BB and Fenerbahce FC game.
Professional Football Discipline Committee’s (PFDK) Penalties regarding Match Fixixng :
· İbrahim Akın ( İstanbul BB-player) : Barred from football for 3 years for match fixing
· Serdar Kulbilge ( Genclerbirliği FC-goal keper) :Barred from footbal for 2 years for match fixing for benefit of Fenerbahce FC at Gençlerbirliği game.
· Ümit Karan ( Eskişehirspor FC-player) : Barred from football for getting bribe from Fenerbahce FC against Trabzonspor FC.
· İlhan Yüksel Ekşioğlu ( Fenerbahce FC-Vice President) : Barred from football for 3 years for match fixing in 3 matches.
· Mehmet Şekip Mosturoğlu ( Fenerbahce FC-Vice President) : Barred from football for 1 year for giving bribe to Eskişhir FC players against Trabzonspor FC.
· Ahmet Çelebi (Sivasspor FC board member and Fenerbahce FC congress member) : Barred from football for 2 years for match fixing.
· Cemil Turan ( Fenerbahce FC-Sportive Director) : Barred from football for 1 year for match fixing at Fenenerbahce FC-Ankaragücü FC game.
PS : Despite the second Ethical Committee report was prepared under the political pressure the persons above barred from football for match fixing offences. Altough all persons found guilty of match fixing in the first Ethical Committee report found guilty by court too, PFDK gave a decision under the influence of politica. Pressure. Despite all efforts, It was not possible to save the names above as the evidence were too solid against them.
The Scandal Decision is; PFDK barred players of various teams, board members of Fenerbahce FC and Sivasspor FC for match fixing for benefit of Fenerbahce FC and the games ended with the result that they aggreed for, neither Fenerbahce FC nor Sivasspor Fc were penalised.
Article 6 :
Translation of Turkish Prime Mininter’s speech regarding match-fixing decision;
Please read the translation of Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s speech below regarding the match fixing decision that Turkish Football Association Discipline Committee announced the other day…
‘I am a member of Fenerbahce SK congress. I am beyond being an ordinary supporter…’
‘In democracies, you must penalise real persons, not the cooperations (clubs)…’
‘Penalising clubs is punishing millions of suppoerters of that club…’
Sami Dinç’s conversation with Erdem Konyar ( Emanuel Emenike’s Agent) regarding Emanuel Emenike, (the player of Karabükspor who aggreed a deal with Fenerbahçe FC before Karabükspor-Fenerbahce FC game and refused to play at that game) from Police Records;
Sami Dinç : SD
Erdem Konyar : EK
SD : He ( talking about Emenike) should either say he has pain and will not play or play really crap.
EK : Ok
SD : He should play crap
EK : …
SD : He can’t resist and will score and we’ll all crap, this can’t be
PS: Emanuel Emenike did not play against Fenerbahce FC at that game saying that he had pain, despite the doctors of Karabükspor FC said he was good to play. Emanuel Emenike then signed a contract with Fenerbahce FC at the end of the season and it turned out from records that he really signed a contract before the game his team played against Fenerbahce FC.
The persons sentenced for match fixing in Karabükspor FC-Fenerbahce FC game are;
· Aziz Yıldırım ( Fenerbahce FC-President)
· Mehmet Şekip Mosturoğlu ( Fenerbahce FC- Vice President )
· Sami Dinç ( Legal Advisor of Fenerbahce FC )
· Emanuel Emenike’s file was seperated from the others as he was outside the country.